Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Lucy's little toe

Last week we were shoe shopping for Lucy. She had been complaining for a while that socks and shoes hurt her little toes. We assumed she was highly sensitive. After this last visit to find shoes that she likes I got extremely frustrated and told Betsy I was going to make a doctor appointment to rule out anything physically was wrong. I thought if the doctor told me nothing was wrong then I would be justified with my frustration and persistence to have Lucy wear what we bought her. I took her last Thursday to the doctor and they immediately noticed that her little toes were under lapping; we never noticed. Lucy was telling us the truth the whole time. After an examination and x-rays, Lucy has a few things affecting her toes. One is a tight Achilles tendon causing her toes to curl in and the other is under lapping little toes (from two bones over lapping) causing friction and rubbing. Shoes with wide toe boxes are what will help her for now but, we need to do stretching exercises to loosen her tendons and may need surgery to straighten her little toes. We are glad I took her in and caught this before she got older...DW

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I'm so glad you posted this because Eric mentioned this but his translation wasn't extremely helpful!! :O) We'll be praying that stretching helps and that this will be resolved!