Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ethiopia: Day 4 (12/31/10)

I am missing Betsy and my girls so much. Our friend, Lory, was able to get Internet access and email at the guest house so she was able to send an email back home and copy Betsy so she knew we were safe. Once we leave the guest house we no longer have connection. We left a calling card back home but they haven't been able to get through to us yet.


Before lunch we went to a marketplace where I found a few gifts to bring home.


I haven't been wanting to eat much since the food does not sound good to me. I brought a lot of Power bars from home and some Beef Jerky. We also have many bottled waters to drink.


The smell in Ethiopia is something I haven't been able to get used to yet.


After lunch, we headed to Soddo (7 hours south of Addis). After dark, around a corner on a mountain hill, we came upon an overturned bus with many Africans screaming and wailing. Our two doctors jumped into action and we helped where we could. It was pretty bad. Two people were in critical condition. The doctor's were only able save one. Other's had wounds or broken limbs. After stabilizing everyone they could we decided there was not much more we could do and a couple hours later continued on the road. The scene was right out of a movie. It was pitch dark and we had small flashlights with us. We used clothing from our suitcase as turnakits. God definitely put us in that path to be able to help His people.


We arrived in Soddo around 10:30 pm and went to dinner. I still wasn't very hungry and ate mainly bread and drank bottled water.


We went to the hotel around midnight. I roomed with one of the teenage boys and the room was very nice. We head to Shanto and FOVC (Friends of Orphans and Vulnerable Children) in the morning.


The trip has been very overwhelming emotionally, spiritually and physically so far. This is one adventure I will never forget!

No comments: