Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Continued Back Pain

For those who are not aware of my history; I have had two previous surgeries to correct a herniated disk at L4/L5 and L5/S1. These were back in 2003 and 2006. Both surgeries were focused on fixing a pinched nerve that shot pain down the back of my right leg. Now, it is time to fix the pain in my back. The pain has been increasing and not allowing me to continue with a normal quality of life. The issues are degenerating disks, stenosis, arthritis, slight herniation and a few bone spurs but the degenerating disks are the main problem. These are in the same region of L4 down to S1 (lower back). My mother and brother have the same issues and my mom had a fusion to fix the issue and recovered remarkably and enjoys a high quality of life. I will be undergoing the same procedure in June. The surgery involves placing small morsels of bone in the front of the spine (in the disc space) and along the back of the spine so that the bone grows together and fuses that section of the spine. They will put pins through the discs to hold it together with a rod. I will keep you updated as it gets closer. Please pray for a peace of mind...DW

4 comments:

David said...

Derek,

We're praying for you...especially for reprieve from the pain. Please take care of yourself and hopefully the surgery will restore you to your former glory on the slopes :).

Lory Howlett said...

Ohhhhhhh! I don't want you to have to go through this! We're here for you and we're standing with you!

Stacy said...

Eric mentioned this to me the other day. We are so bummed to hear this, but we will be praying continually for the entire process.

Yamma Mamma said...

You'll be in our prayers!

Amanda